Ginger is a flowering plant whose rhizome, ginger root or simply ginger, is widely used as a spice or a folk medicine. It was exported to Europe via India in the first century AD as a result of the lucrative spice trade and was used extensively by the Romans. Little did we know that Ginger Health Benefits include right from lower cholesterol levels to Reduce muscle pain and soreness, reduce menstrual pain and Osteoarthritis to an even reduction in bowel cancer.
Studies & Experiments on Ginger Health Benefits
There are have been several studies and experiments on Ginger to prove and decipher the medicinal values that it holds. As per Dr. Ann Bode, University of Minnesota “These results strongly suggest that ginger compounds may be effective chemopreventive and/or chemotherapeutic agents.”
Researchers from the University of Minnesota’s Hormel Institute in Austin, fed half a milligram of gingerol to mice genetically engineered not to have an immune system three times a week before and after they were injected with human bowel tumour cells.
Other mice were injected with the tumour cells but were not given the gingerol.
By day 49, all the control mice had been killed because they had developed tumours of one cubic centimetre or more, but 12 of the gingerol mice were still alive and their average tumour size was about half the maximum allowable size.
Ginger Health Benefits To Make You Healthier
- Ginger is traditionally used to treat illnesses including cancers of the liver, lung and rectum.
- Ginger can treat many forms of nausea, especially in morning sickness.
- Ginger reduces muscle pain and soreness.
- The anti-inflammatory effects of ginger help in Osteoarthritis problem.
- Ginger drastically lowers Blood Sugars and improves in heart disease risk factors.
- Ginger is a potent natural anti-inflammatory. Therefore, it acts as a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Ginger helps in treating Chronic Indigestion
- Ginger powder can significantly reduce menstrual pain.
- Studies show that Ginger may lower cholesterol levels.
- Ginger can protect against age-related decline in brain function.
- Fresh ginger is also effective against the RSV virus, a common cause of respiratory infections.
- It helps in reduction of Arthritis pain.
- Studies proved that hair loss ginger treatment is very effective.
- It is very helpful in the prevention of ear infections.
- It improves the blood circulation.
How Healthy is Ginger Tea?
Nothing beats cold in the winter like a piping hot cup of ginger tea. With its high levels of Vitamin C, magnesium and other minerals, ginger root are extremely beneficial for health.
- 4-6 thin slices raw ginger (or more, depending on how strong you want it!)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups water
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice, or to taste (optional, but delicious)
- 1-2 tbsp honey or agave nectar, or to taste (also optional but delicious)
Once made into tea, you can add peppermint, honey or lemon to mask the taste of the ginger.
For other recipes read: Chai-spiced ginger and date tea loaf
Add a Pinch of Ginger to Your Life
It can easily be included in the daily diet as the food supplement. Ginger Tea is one such excellent example. One could also add it to cooking, salads, smoothies, soups etc. There are many delicious recipes where it can be added as an ingredient to improve both the flavour and the health benefit.